You’ve just got yourself an interview for your dream job – now what? Preparation is the key for a great interview! Here are our tips on how to ace your interview.
- Do your research! You’re setting yourself up for failure if you turn up to an interview without having thoroughly researched the company. Have a good look around their website and don’t forget to check out their social media sites too for information on their current campaigns.
- Read the job description again before you go. If you feel you don’t meet any of the criteria think of a positive answer if this comes up in the interview.
- If you feel anxious beforehand, use calming techniques such as taking deep breaths to relax yourself.
- Make a list of questions to ask the interviewer at the end – they will often ask if you have any questions so come prepared in case you can’t think of anything at the time.
- Make a great first impression! Give eye contact and show confidence even if you don’t feel it inside.
- Speak clearly and calmly. Collect yourself before you speak to avoid waffling and not answering the question properly.
- Bring your CV and references with you in case the interviewer hasn’t printed out a copy.
- Speak positively of your previous/current employers even if you didn’t enjoy working for them.
- If you have any gaps in your CV or have taken are career break, make sure you are able to explain them to the interviewer.
- Unless the interviewer brings it up, don’t talk about the salary and the benefits straight away.
- Ask what the follow up procedure is. When should you expect to hear from them? Are there any more interviews after this one?
- If you’re unsuccessful and don’t get the job – request feedback. Most people will oblige and its worth asking so you know what you need to build on and focus on for your next interview.
For more job hunting and interview advice, click here.
Don’t forget to follow our interview tips board on Pinterest!
Published by Holborn Training